Saturday, January 8, 2011

Kultur Shock: We Came To Take Your Jobs Away (2006)



A picture is worth a thousand words: This is definitely one of the greatest album cover I've seen. Kultur Shock is band from Seattle, USA playing music what I think is best described as Gypsy Punk similar to Gogol Bordello but more lively, aggressive. The band describes itself as a living organism with members originating from Bosnia, Bulgaria, Japan and the US and the lyrics presented by singer Gino Yevdjevich are really thoughtfully and ironic and deal to a large part about immigration. Here an excerpt from the first track God is Busy:
"I know, I'm stranger in your land,
I know, ladies and gentlemen,
I know, I am coming here to stay,
And take your jobs away.

And you know, I will trade your soul for mine,
Freedom doesn't cost a dime,
Don't waste your time, religion is crime,
I can make your problems go away right now,

'Cause God is Busy, may I help you?"
So all in all We Came To Take Your Jobs Away is really powerful energetic music coming along with a lot of humour. I wait for them to come to Europe for concerts again. But god is still busy...



3 comments:

  1. New Kultur Shock record out Feb.1! Tweet us at @kultur_shock and we'll send you a download code.

    -kultur shock

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the hint to Kultur Shock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome. They are excellent indeed!

    ReplyDelete